Oakland Media Center 510.594.3731
San Francisco Media Center 415.551.9240
Fall & Spring Semester Hours
Monday-Thursday: 8:00am to 8:00pm
Friday: 8:00am to 6:00pm
Monday-Friday: 9:00am to 4:00pm
- Students who are enrolled in classes at CCA may reserve and check out equipment.
- Current Faculty and Staff may reserve and check out AV equipment as well as laptops and video projectors. Video projectors and laptops are for on campus use only.
- You must provide a current CCA ID and have read and agreed to the Media Center User Agreement to check out equipment, available on WebAdvisor or in print upon request.
- We do not accept driverʼs licenses or credit cards for equipment checkout.
- First priority for equipment and services is given to instruction, academically or institutionally related projects.
- Remaining resources are available by approval and on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please keep your Media Center account updated with your current address and phone number by updating in WebAdvisor.
- We expect you to have a working knowledge of the operation and care of equipment you check out. If you are unfamiliar with the equipment, please ask to schedule a tutorial.
- Check that equipment is in working order and that all components are in the kit before you leave the Media Center.
- Make sure to inform the staff of any irregularities before you leave, as you are immediately responsible for equipment checked out to you after leaving the Media Center.
- You are financially responsible for all equipment checked out to you, including lost, stolen and damaged items. In the event that equipment is stolen, a hold will be placed on your account until the financial obligation is paid off.
- Equipment and other resources provided by CCA are not insured against loss, theft or damage by borrowers. Therefore, we strongly urge all families to check their homeowners or renters insurance policy to verify such coverage; and to consider obtaining personal property coverage if it does not. Wells Fargo Insurance Services has teamed up with CSI Protection to offer students personal property coverage. For more information visit www.collegestudentinsurance.com Please note that CCA is not affiliated with individual insurance vendors or their products.
- You must WAIT until your equipment is returned before exiting the Media Center to ensure that all items have been returned and are in working condition. Items left on the counter can be at risk of damage, loss or theft. Equipment is your financial responsibility until all items are officially returned by Media Center Staff.
- Do not leave equipment unattended or in a car due to potential damage from heat, weather and high potential for theft.
- Do not take equipment to the beach or expose it to sand, water, or extreme heat/cold.
- Due to space limitations, and turn around times, we cannot guarantee that batteries will be charged when you pick up equipment.
- You are responsible for returning all equipment with fully charged batteries and complete with kit accessories to ensure the equipment is in working order for the next patron.
- We will not accept returns on kits or items missing components, such as tripods without the mounting plates. You will be asked to return the equipment when it is complete. Delays may result in a late fee.
- Turn off the power when equipment is not in use. Plug in your equipment and save battery power whenever possible.
- To prevent damage, please remove batteries from the battery compartment before you return equipment.
- Failure to follow the above instructions may result in a fine or abuse fee per item.
Equipment can be a target for theft. Take precautions to stay safe when working after dark, in small groups or alone. Always be aware of your surroundings.
RESERVATIONS / CHECK-OUTS / RETURNS
- We recommend that you make reservations at least one week in advance. You may reserve equipment up to two weeks in advance.
- You may make one reservation per week for each item. (Donʼt monopolize equipment!)
- In consideration of others, please let us know if you cannot pick up your reserved equipment. If you habitually miss reservations, you may lose your Media Center privileges.
- High demand items (such as digital cameras) cannot be reserved for two consecutive weekends.
- Reservations are not a guarantee as the reserved equipment is subject to potential issues such as damage or late return by previous user.
- Equipment is available for check out after 12:30pm on the day of your reservation on the campus that it was reserved from.
- Equipment must be returned by 12:00pm on the due date of your reservation period, or at 12:00pm on Monday following Friday checkouts.
- Equipment must be returned to the same campus items were checked out from.
Exceptions to the circulation policy:
- Laptops, video projectors and equipment on carts are for on campus use, for class duration and must be returned on the same day immediately after class. These items are not available overnight. They cannot be taken off campus. These items may be reserved by faculty or staff only.
- Faculty, please reserve in class equipment two weeks before your request. You may reserve AV for your class for the entire semester with a Media Center staffer. Be indicate the classroom, time, your name and cell phone number. Your reservation is not guaranteed unless confirmed.
- In some circumstances equipment may need to be returned before noon. The Media Center will inform patrons if this is the case.
- In-class 4D equipment must be checked out no more than 45 minutes before class and returned immediately after class. In-class equipment must be checked out by the 4D faculty only. Students cannot take home in-class 4D equipment. You cannot check out similar items that have already been extended for reservation.
All Media Center rentals must be returned to the same campus the items were checked out from before 12pm on the due date.
Loss of Reservations:
- Reserved equipment that has not been picked up may be checked out by other patrons starting at 7:30PM Monday-Thursday and 5:30PM Friday.
School equipment and resources are not insured against loss, theft or damage by borrowers.
- Equipment returned late by Students, Staff and Faculty (after 12pm after 2 days) will result in a late fee payable in cash of exact change to the appropriate campus. Checks and credit cards must be paid through Student Accounts. When paying through Student Accounts you must first obtain a printed fine amount from the Media Center. Your fine is not removed until you have shown receipt of payment. (Please inquire for further fines procedures)
- Late fees range from $1-$20 per item for each day the equipment is returned late, Saturday and Sunday included.
- If you have unpaid fines, you cannot make reservations or check out equipment.
- Loss of checkout privileges may result for patrons who are either habitually late or who lose equipment.
- Lost or stolen equipment will result in a replacement fee equaling the cost of the itemʼs current replacement value, as determined by the Media Center Manager.
- Abuse or negligence of this agreement fee may result in additional fees. Charges may range from $10-$500 and/or a probation period for checkout. Additional offenses may result in the permanent loss of privileges.
- Unpaid fees may result in a hold on your student records (preventing registration, graduation etc.). Your hold is not removed until you have provided proper documentation to a Media Center Manager and they have lifted the account hold.
- If you do not clear your hold by paying the fine with the Media Center, your student account may be charged.
MANDATORY - Faculty requiring regular access to classroom A/V systems must arrange access and training with Media Center staff prior to the start of your class
- To avoid class delays, if possible please arrive at your classroom at least 15-30 minutes before class time to ensure the A/V system is working properly and to allow for possible troubleshooting by Media Center Staff.
- Only Media Center trained individuals may operate the projection booths in Nahl Hall or Timken Hall.
- To reserve meeting rooms, classrooms, Oakland campus Nahl Hall, or San Francisco campus Timken Hall, please go to https://virtualems.cca.edu or contact Scheduling Manager Rebekah Eisenberg, 415.551.9206.
- View the Virtual EMS How to Request Space Helpsheet
- Request services and equipment at least 14 days in advance. Equipment is not reserved unless you receive confirmation.
EVENT A/V SUPPORT
- The Media Center will hire a student and/or a contract technician to provide A/V Services for events that require dedicated assistance. The sponsoring department will be charged at the rate of $15-$20 per hour, per technician, with a minimum charge of four hours per service. For events requesting videography, in addition to tech support, the sponsoring department will be charged per hour for video and editing by a contract technician with a minimum charge of four hours per service. Technician, Videographer and Editor rates range from $15-$20 an hour. Please complete the EMS events forms located at https://virtualems.cca.edu and submit the completed request form to Rebekah Eisenberg, 415.551.9206. Please refer to the Media Center’s videography policy for questions regarding video services.
We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for reasons deemed appropriate.
Inappropriate and abusive behavior not be tolerated and may lead to probation or loss of checkout abilities and/or further educational disciplinary actions.
WARNING: Equipment can be a theft risk. Always be aware and take precautions to stay safe when expensive equipment is in your possession. If you have been a victim of theft always make a police report and inform CCA public safety as well as the Media Center Manager.